Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday is no-fun day


I'm kidding about that title...kind of. Ty has to travel around to different wards on Sundays now which leaves me solo with the kids for sacrament meeting. Just for record keeping's sake, one of our first weeks in the Hyde Park ward Otis slowly left our seats, looked back at me with a smile then ran. I knew better than to chase him. At first I gave him my evilest eye look and pointed and mouthed, "get back here". But I ended up having to get up and follow him as he ran around and around while I walked my most reverent walk behind him until I cornered him in the front corner near the stand where he kicked at me until I grabbed him and took him out.


A few weeks ago at one point during ward conference he threw his shoe and ran up to the stand while the bishop was speaking--we spent the rest of the time in the hall.

Today he screamed out, "Oh my God!" (something Mormon's do not say) just as the opening song ended.

I get alot of sympathy nods and "I've been there" looks from older women in the ward. Of course, I also get some, "tsk tsk's" here and there. But I consider most Sundays a success if I leave the area we were sitting with no permanent damage done.
So after a particularly bad Sunday, a woman in the ward (with no kids herself) told me she had something for me and hoped it didn't offend me. It is a quiet book that she made by hand. She had been a nursery leader and made quiet books for all the kids (talk about magnifying your calling) and had an extra and thought we could use it. Tears filled my eyes most of the day as my kids were playing with the quiet book. I appreciated the book more than she will ever know. Not because it keeps my kids even close to quiet, but because she genuinely just wanted to help. These are a few pages from the book.
I am surrounded by some really amazing people here. People that are so different from me and I love that. I don't mean to comlpain about church, and obviously if it didn't believe in it with my whole head, heart and soul, then there was no way I would put myself through the torture each Sunday. But it's true and I'm a happier person because I believe that.

15 comments:

Max Fam said...

tears in my eyes here. I love reading that post. Send Otis to church with me for a month and I guarantee you his behavior change (and so will the color of his bottom). just kidding. kind of. xoxo - love you all.
p.s. what an amazing gift.

Heidi said...

I totally struggle with sacrament meeting too (Seth is gone most of the time). I can't decide which battles I should fight and which ones I shouldn't. Should I let Taft sprawl out in the middle of the aisle? Maybe, he is being quiet. Do I just give in every Sunday and let him run like a banchee up and down the halls? I feel ya sista.

Chris, Alissa, Parker, and Tenley said...

Sundays are quite the challenge! How sweet! I want that book!

Karen said...

Wow. I guess we are pretty lucky. Brooke is usually really well behaved. What a nice woman for giving you a quiet book. That is awesome.

SJ said...

I love this. I laughed out loud. You are amazing and I wish I could be in church to sit right next to you!

Miss your face!

Krista said...

love this. so sweet!

Sarah said...

Wow. That is a really good story. It made me teary. The quiet book is awesome!

Jen christensen said...

I LOVE Otis stories. Claire has recently hit two and started the frequent, huge public fits. It's a whole new ball game. You're a good mom Em.

Nicole said...

How sweet!! The book is darling. And made by hand. Wow!! Sooo much work! I'm so sorry you are in sac. mtg by yourself! Ahhh! You poor thing. Belgium looks beautiful btw!

Cherie said...

What wonderful people do. Wish I could have been there for you. But you wouldn't have received such a wonderful gift.
xoxo

Heather and Dave said...

You are such a good mama bear. Love the stories and hearing that we aren't the only ones to struggle w/ sac meeting. Otis is so funny screaming and throwing shoes! what a sweet lady to make that book for you. Gotta love the tender mercies from the Lord.

Saidi said...

Oh Otie! We struggle through every sacrament too. At least you get to hand him off for sunbeams and can take Milly to nursery. We miss you so much!! What an amazing book!

Christine said...

What a sweet sweet lady and an answer to prayer. Sitting with two kids during church is never easy, but by yourself!

Britters and Parx said...

oh my gosh Emily when can I meet Otis?? I love his sassy you can't control me little spirit! I seriously do. =) Let me know when you are in Utah again! I bet you are such a great mom. Your kids are DARLING!!!

Kate said...

i hear you. and i need one of those bad.