Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dear Otis,

September 11, 2012
I cried last night. Today you are 4. I kept thinking as I lay in bed last night, that maybe if I never went to sleep you would never turn 4. But here I am sitting next to you in your new super hero outfit and you are 4. You woke up and said, "do I look bigger today?!" Yes, you do, my love.
But you still join me in my bed at some point every single night to snuggle. You wiggle your way in right next to me and press your cheek against mine and drift back to sleep.
I love your wild and free spirit. You love to get dirty and usually get home at the end of each day with fingernails full of dirt from some adventure you've found. You're enthusiasm for life is contagious. Everyone who meets you is drawn to--or at least is impressed by your energy. You are a natural leader and easily make friends. You usually introduce me to your "new friend" soon after you meet them at the fountains or the park
I admire you confidence so much. Even though it often comes out as defiance. Just recently I have seen the normal inhibitions creep in. I know it is part of growing up, but I hope you keep most of your confident and care-free attitude forever.
One thing that stands out most about you is your sweet voice. It is low, husky and loud. You have absolutely no volume control and seem to be incapable of whispering. Whether we are at church or on a plane, your voice seems to carry like you are speaking into a microphone. And you do not like to be told to be quiet. You really don't like to be told to do anything.
You are a good brother. You tease and are rough with Milly, but if anyone else tries to do anything to her you are fiercely protective. Milly loves you and is your little shadow.
Everything you see is the best or worst "thing in the whole wide west" or the "whole world". In the middle of football class at Swiss Cottage yesterday you ran over to me and yelled, "wasn't that the most amazing kick you've ever seen in the whole wide world?!" You also constantly ask if you are bigger and older than other people. The other day at the park I overheard you asking a kid how old he was then explaining to him that you were older and bigger because you are 4 now.
Birthday cake at the Madsen's
We had a small pirate party with some friends in the garden today. It was a good day. I love you bigger than this whole wide world.

4 comments:

Saidi said...

Happy Birthday Otis!! We sure miss you! I can not believe how much you look like TY!

Max Fam said...

I love you that much too, Otis. XOXO!

Cherie said...

Love you to pieces. So happy I just happened to look at the blog... not expecting to see such a great post.
xoxo

Tesera said...

Awww such great pics of him, totally shows his personality!