Friday, August 31, 2007

We have found Paradise...

We came to this island planning on staying 1 night...but we´re on our 4th night and just can´t leave. This is really our favorite place we have ever been. Words can´t describe how much we love it...but I´ll try. We are staying at a place for 5$ per person a night. It´s a wooden house on stilts over the Carribbean Ocean with a dock that extends out with 6 hammocks under a thatched roof. We have been staying with the same french couple, two french guys and a couple from Spain. The French guys are so cool, we´ve made great friends with them and lucky for me they speak a little English. They just work every winter at ski shops in Switzerland to make enough money to travel the world from May to October. The couple from Spain seems really cool, but you´d have to ask Tyler becuase they don´t speak English. But I know that they just bought some property in Costa Rica to build a hostel, so that seems pretty cool.

It´s been interesting becuase the conversation has turned to more French so Tyler has had a taste of my world. Back to this awesome island. There are no cars or roads here. The side we are staying on has no waves so to get to the waves you have to hike through the thick jungle for a mile to the other side of the island. The trail is very muddy and it´s like walking through the the movie ¨Arachnophobia¨. I have never seen such psycho spiders. They are called Golden Web spiders and they are huge...they just line the trail on webs all over in the trees. A guy told us that they webs are really strong and they are researching making bullet proof vests out of them. I just touched it once and you can bounce it and it won´t break...but that was too close for me. I keep thinking of Nanette trying to get through this...it really is scary, but worth it becuase it´s the only access to the beach so it´s very secluded. The waves are perfect here. We have been the only tourists out surfing with a group of 5 local kids...I´m not sure how much they appreciate us being there but they are fairly nice.

We can live for about 20$ a day here. One of the French guys is a chef so he cooks at night and we all just pitch in, it´s awesome. Every night we talk about leaving we just say we can decide the next morning, but it doesn´t look like we´ll be leaving any time soon.

Love you all

7 comments:

Cara said...

That sounds amazing! When do you go to England?
Cara

Weed Family said...

Emily, wow, I am so happy I found your blog, I miss you! It sounds like you are having an amazing summer. We have moved to VA and are loving it. I hope we can keep in better touch, now.

Nicole said...

Sure sounds like paradise to me! And I had to laugh about the spiders and Nan...there's no way she could handle that! I remember her mom putting those fake spiders in her bed for April Fool's once...lol. I'm glad you guys are having such a good time!!

broadwater said...

Thanks for the update. Sounds like after this trip you will be ready for "The Amazing Race".
xoxo
mom

Karen said...

Man that's crazy! I think I would just settle with not surfing! :) It sure does sound fun though...the place, not the spiders.

Janessa Whatcott said...

Em that sounds to great!! I am glad that you are able to get away and have some fun!!

Whitney said...

Emily! This is such an awesome adventure you guys are on! I love it! I have to admit... Nanette and spiders doesn't mix very well! But same goes for me! you're very brave! I'm thinking about coming home the week before you leave for London so we HAVE to get together before you leave ok?