Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cinnamon bears at 3am

I'm sitting here at 3am on a sugar high from cinnamon bears. Otie and I got back to London on Thursday after a wonderful trip home (not so wonderful was the 14 hr flight alone, but that's another story) The night we got back Otie came down with his first fever. He has an ear infection, my heart hurts for him.

Needless to say, I haven't had much sleep for a few days. Not only are we fighting his infection, but jet lag as well- poor little guy. He has been such a trooper through it all. I have been so worried about him that even when I should be sleeping, I can't because I'm worried about him and keep taking his temperature while he's sleeping to make sure it's not too high.

Well, tonight the fatigue finally hit me. Probably after looking at my zombie of a face, Ty told me he'd put Otie down so I could go to bed. At 2am I heard the door open and took a sigh of relief thinking that Otie was asleep. Then I heard his little noise and looked up and there he was smiling away in Ty's arm's (he's stuck on California time). Ty told me he had to hand the reigns over to me so he could go to work in the morning (I know, he's amazing. I'm so lucky I could never do this without him). I was so exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open and when I saw a bag of cinnamon bears in the kitchen, the only sensible thing to do seemed to be to start pounding them so I could stay awake with Otie who seemed to be feeling better and ready to play.

Otie was finally started to doze off in my arms numb from not wanted to move an inch and wake him when he started to wake up again and as I frantically looked for the binki I saw it just within reach of my foot- so yes- I grabbed it with my toes, licked it "clean" and popped it in his mouth. Problem solved. I was officially desperate to get him to stay asleep.

Now his fever is down, he's asleep and I am totally wired. I think when I crash from this sugar high will be right around the time Otie will be getting up again.

I haven't uploaded any pics from Christmas yet, that can go on my to-do list, right up there with un-packing, brushing my hair and changing out of the pajamas I've been wearing for the last 4 days.

14 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so sorry Otie got an ear infection! That sounds miserable. And the flight by yourself AND the jet lag!? I can't even imagine how tired you are!! It was sooooooooo great to see you, even though it was just at church! Otie is the cutest little guy and I can't wait until this summer and they can play!! I'm glad you made it back to London.

broadwater said...

The only thing better would have been to eat V chocolate toffee or carmels with nuts. Hopw Otis is on the mend as well as you and Tyler.
xoxo
mom
p.s you all all greatly missed. We had such a fun time with you over the Holidays.

broadwater said...

ps. If you need to feel better and remember Otis in a different light just look at the previous blog of him laughing with Tyler

Karen said...

I'm glad you made it home safe but sorry Otis got sick. I'm dreading that first sickness...maybe Brooke has a super immune system and won't ever get sick! HA! That would be awesome. If you come home in June we BETTER see each other! If not i'll be sad.

Heather Strong said...

Ugh! That is so hard!! Nothing is worse than a baby that a: wont sleep because of discomfort or b: wont sleep because they think it is daytime/playtime. Emmett was sick all through Christmas so something must be going around in UT!

Sarah said...

hi em, i hear you- long nights are so hard. but you will get back in the swing of things.

Bryan and Marissa said...

Love it! Em we are so sad we missed you guys at Christmas! Glad to see your home I am sure it is so nice to be home again!

Nanette said...

If you'd have just stayed here, you wouldn't be having jet lag problems...... :)

Jenn said...

Oh the joys of travelling with a little one! Seems like Everett always gets sick when we travel.

Max Fam said...

cinnamon bears? I would way rather go for french fries. at least cinnamon bears are fat free. Otie is the cutest baby ever.

Weed Family said...

I am so sorry Otie is not feeling well. I always have a pit in my stomach, too when Max is sick. Funny how that is. You hurt when they hurt. Just know we have all been there and you will catch up on your sleep soon. Good luck and we are thinking of you guys. Happy new year!

Nicole said...

ha ha. i'm so sorry to laugh, but everyone unfortunately has days like that! ok, well moms do for sure! next time you"ll have to eat the chocolate covered cinnamon bears! they are so yummy!

Candace & Winston said...

Yes! He is totally obsessed.. it's all he ever wants to do. Too bad you guys don't live here because then Ty & Winst could talk 'strategy' and we could go to dinner :)
Hope you guys are doing well & that Otie is feeling better!
Miss you guys

Christine said...

So sorry about the ear infection! I hate when kids get sick, you feel so helpless! The jetlag is awful I am sure-we struggle with just a 2 hour time difference!