Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers Day!

My mom gave me this for Mother's Day. It's a framed picture of my Great Grandma Zelma, Grandma Miriam, Mom and me when we were all about the same age. It is so precious to me.
I'm so grateful for my mom. I wish I could somehow just absorb all her patience, selflessness and mothering skills.

Having been a mother for a whole 20 months now, I think I can consider myself an expert (haha). But one thing I have learned is love. Sure, multiple people a day tell me that Otis is a wild child and wonder how I can keep up with him (or not keep up as my ward learned when he out ran me and made it up to the bishopric on the stand last week during a testimony).

Most days I feel like I'm just chasing him around trying to keep him alive. He can now pull most electrical covers out of outlets, climb up on our kitchen table and reach our chandelier and jump off anything that could potentially break his leg. But before he does he always looks at me and says, "em-me-mee", like he's saying "Hey, Emily- look what I'm about to do."

Some days I look at the clock and see that it's only 3:00pm and wonder what in the world am I going to do to entertain this little man for the next 3-4 hours. Then I remember that there is so much that I should be doing. Sometimes I feel such a tremendous amount of pressure when I realize that it is my responsibility- as his mother- more than anyone else to teach him manners, honesty, right and wrong....everything. Who ever thought that I was capable of this? But I find that in the midst all these feelings and of his running away, tantrums, pushing and purposeful defiance that I'm loving him more and more every day.

When I was pregnant with Otis it never really felt real that I was actually going to have a baby. That this little person was going to be left completely in my care. If only I could see into the future and see Otis racing down a slide at a park then running over to me without saying anything just to give me a hug then running right back to the playground. Or cuddling up next to me for a kiss, or asking to get "up" on my lap to read the same book 50 times in a row or resting his head softly on my belly and saying "baby" then with no warning jumping on top of my belly and saying "wheeee!".

Otis has awakened a piece of my heart that I never knew I had. Being a mom rocks.

8 comments:

Max Fam said...

Wow. that was a great post.

Mom gave me $ for carrot cake at Cheesecake Factory, I would say that is equally as sentimental, wouldn't you? I'm serious.

you are such a good mommy, but you do have a pretty easy child, so I wouldn't complain.

Nicole said...

What a sweet gift! I love it! And I agree, you have a great mom and you are a great mom too :)

Heidi said...

That was a really sweet post. You're a rockin mom.

Heather and Dave said...

Look at you miss blogger of the year! Way to go with all the new, sweet posts! Your trip looked SO fun and I loved reading your sweet tribute about Love and your cute otis :) You're such a cute mom and you're going to love being a mom to two...it'll amaze you how easy it really is to love the second as much as your first! We were swamped Monday but would love to see you next week at playgroup :) Or even the aquarium later this week if you're up for it??!

betsy b said...

not as cool as being an aunt.

but awesome post anyway.

Kate said...

love this... and love that now you will have a little girl too:) hope you are feeling well. we need to talk - i thought of you when i was able to get an "extra" ultrasound today.

Kati said...

That is a wonderful gift! You are a great mom!

Britters and Parx said...

oh I felt like i really got to know Otis through this post! I better you are an awesome mom!!! Lucky kids! And I love that framed set of pics your mom gave you! I would love something like that!!! Can't wait to see your baby so soon!