Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Milly's birth-day

I've sat down to post this a few times, but have never actually done it. It was fun for me to read back about the day Otis was born so I want to write this down while it's still somewhat fresh.

I woke up at 3am on June 9th with contractions. I got up and ate some cereal then watched a movie. The contractions would stop when I laid down though. I decided that I was done being pregnant and said out loud to myself, "it's time for this baby to come". So I got up and did a 30 minute exercise video (hips, buns and thighs to be exact). So there I was, 9 months pregnant, in the middle of the night doing lunges around my living room.

I happened to have a Dr. appt that morning at 9am (with another doc because mine was out of town- of course). The contractions hadn't been very regular and I wasn't dilating and the doc told me not to worry because "the baby wasn't coming today". So I went to my mom's and the contractions got stronger- it was the exact same as the day Otie was born so we went back to the hospital around noon.

They had me walk around for an hour- with serious, regular contractions. Then they finally admitted me. I had an emergency c-section with Otis but had decided to try for a v-bac. I was very nervous leading up to my due date, but Ty and I both felt good about not scheduling a c-section. Everything went really smooth and I didn't have to have a c-section. It was an amazing, spiritual, almost peaceful experience. Milly June was born at 7:59pm that night.

We had really procrastinated on choosing a name. We went to the hospital with a list of about 12 names. We finally went with Milly June the morning we left the hospital. Alot of people have asked us where we got the name Milly, if it was a spin-off of my name. I guess it could be, but I've always loved the name from my snowboarding days at Brighton. Milly is named after our favorite run "Milly Bowl" at Brighton Ski Resort.

I love this picture- Tyler is my rock. He was so calm and steady the whole time
My mom and Betsy were my own personal doulas- I loved having them there
Milly swallowed some meconium so they had the NICU set up and ready in our room. She didn't make a peep for almost 3 minutes- I think I held my breath that whole time.
Finally holding her for the first time
Love this picture of her holding onto Ty
don't mind my nakedness, I just love this picture that shows her hair on the back of her head
note to self: next time pack your hospital bag before you go into labor so you at least pack a hair brush- but still have to post this first family picture despite my nappy hair
meeting big brother for the first time
All the proud grandmas...
ready to go home
so tiny in her car seat
Otis is constantly asking to "hold it?"

22 comments:

Heidi said...

Congratulations! I'm impressed you were able to blog. I remember being so dead tired to do anything except nurse and go to the bathroom. :)


She's darling darling!

Britters and Parx said...

I wanted to cry reading that! I think because you explained what I am about to experience in 4 + months. I'm kinda freaked out but SO excited!!!!!!!!!! Milly is a doll! I am so impressed that you were able to post this so soon. I hope that I do this too. I'm sure it will be so fun to look back on. Please keep the pictures coming! I hope you are feeling well!

Karen said...

I've been checking your blog constantly for this...I'm glad you posted it! :) I'm SO glad that you were able to do the VBAC. And I still love her name...even if it isn't from our Mortal Kombat days!! HA!!! PS...I'm going to come see you in a few weeks. I've been meaning to call but I've been sick for over a week now. So after Lake Powell expect to see me! :)

SJ said...

Oh Emily! She is soooo cute! i can't wait to meet her! Love you lots and miss yoU!

Cherie said...

It was the most calm birth I have ever been witnessed. Love you Em and Milly.
xoxo

Weed Family said...

You are a beautiful family, inside and out. Thanks for making me cry :) I am so glad everything went well and you are all healthy and happy. Love you!

Nanette said...

I keep looking at those pictures over and over. She's amazing! Oh, and by the way, if you were really a true Brighton fan, her middle name would be "bowl." :)

Kate said...

yeah! i finally have a second to catch up and see this darling girl. so happy for you guys, and love the pics. i can't believe that hair! love you.

Christine said...

Claire still has not asked to hold Jake!

I am so glad the VBAC went well

Nicole said...

Emily, she is so precious! I love hte pic of her holding onto Ty...so cute! That is fun about her name. I'm glad you went back and said to let you in! My goodness!!

Betsy told me today that Otis likes to hit her...oops! I hope he gets better with that! IT is so hard for them to undertstand sometimes!

Can't wait to meet her! I want to bring you dinner soon! I will text you :)

Brooke said...

That's so exciting! I'm so glad everything went well for you! She's so sweet! I love the name too!

Heather Strong said...

Congrats Emily! I am glad that your Vbac went well. I can't decide whether to try for one or just do another c-section. I really want to, but I am sort of nervous about it! She is so cute and I love her name.

Laura said...

Love her!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole and Abe said...

she is adorable!!! congratulations!!

Heather and Dave said...

You have a REAL, live baby doll. She is just gorgeous and I cannot wait to meet her and hold that teeny little lady bug! How precious - so glad to hear everything went well, did dr. ponder deliver miss milly while your doc was out of town?

Tracy Peterson said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations!!

Sarah said...

I am so excited for you! She is a beauty. What a wonderful experience. So happy.

Kate Nazif said...

Congrats on the Vbac. That is awesome! So proud of you for making the decision and going forward. and happy about the safe birth! She's a beauty!

Max Fam said...

why haven't you blogged? it's not like you're that busy! more milly please.

Jane and Stuart said...

I love reading everyones birth-day stories because they are all so different! Congrats again!

The Calder's said...

Love all the pictures...you look perfect. Giving birth is hard work girl!! haha (Ok I looked like death warmed up) She is beautiful. I am so happy for you!!

Becky said...

I am so happy that everything went smoothly for you! That is wonderful. It will be nice to meet Milly someday.