Thursday, August 18, 2011

Austria

We just spent a few days hiking in Austria and it was delightful. We spent each morning hiking- only making progress when we could bribe Otis into the backpack to take a break from picking up every rock, stick and flower in his path. He was in heaven--and I felt as close to heaven you can get. I feel at home in the mountains.
Oh and as if you can't tell...all these pictures were taken with a phone. Who goes to the Alps without a camera? oops.
Fresh air, treats and endless mountains--pure bliss.
Every afternoon we would go on a drive on a long winding road through the Alps while the kids slept. I loved being able to sit next to my best friend driving the car and just talk or enjoy the silence without interuption.
We drove the Romantic Road into Germany and went to the Disneyland Castle. It was really fun to see. One day, Milly will really appreciate that we took her to a real princess castle. We didn't get any good pictures of it, but it's Schloss Neuschwanstein- the castle at the beginning of every Disney movie.
The village below us is called Lech. It is a little ski town that I fell in love with. I will spend a winter there some day.
Every day we brought a baguette, cheese, cookies and gummy bears to picnic along the hike somewhere. And we all have a new found love of nutella--polished off the whole jar.
My favorite part was hiking down to this lake surrounded by cows with cow bells on. The bells were echoing in the mountains surrounding, it was such a surreal scene.
We went fishing one day then ate our catch for dinner
I spent the whole trip singing, "The hills are alive, with the sound of music!" I couldn't resist.
Please stop growing Milly, and be my baby forever.
Often when we needed Otis to keep hiking or get up from a rest we would ask him to show us his big muscles...worked like a charm. He was such a trooper.
The views were breathtaking...literally. I kept taking in deep breaths and just trying to hold the fresh air in my lungs forever.
Our first day we were hiking in snow. I was so happy. I wouldn't want to see the Alps any other way.
Ty and Milly off in the distance
If there is one thing I can learn from my sweet stubborn Otis it is to enjoy the journey. He truly did. He wanted to stop and look at everything in his path. I decided from day one to never be in a hurry or have a specific place we needed to hike to. This made for a stress-free and enjoyable time.
But let's be honest...it wasn't all smiles, fresh air and fun.
My sweet, snuggly Milly. She really never made a peep in the backpack. She would silently doze off and we'd look back at her and she'd be awake again just looking around.
Otis isn't into posing for pictures lately.
We put a few clips together from the trip. My favorite is Otis demanding where Grandma Cherie is and telling me he's going to pet the cows. Watching this I wonder if maybe we got a little too close to those cows...

14 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like so much fun. You guys really are on an adventure. It looks beautiful. I definitely remember those winding roads in the alps too.

Max Fam said...

loved it, thank you for blogging for me. that's some class act videography if I've ever seen it.

Kate said...

em - how wonderful!! i was singing "climb...every... mountain!" in my head before you even made the hills are alive comment. i can't even resist and i'm experiencing it virtually! so glad you had such a wonderful getaway, and i love that tribute to the slience without interruption that we so need every once in a while! beautiful pics, beautiful family. love you guys!

Nicole said...

Wow! So fun! I'm so glad you went! We went to that castle and it is so dang cool! And gorgeous. Can you believe all the work that went into it!

So beautiful!

Nicole said...

I just had Molly watch the movie. AFter she said, "Yay! Play it again! Otis, he's really fun to play with!"

Ha ha!! So fun! I'm glad you recorded it!

Lori Wyatt said...

How fun! Your kids are so stinkin cute! I hope you broke out into some Sound of Music songs while you were up there :)

Sarah said...

em, this is why you are there. these experiences! i love o and of course Milly, seriously can she get any cuter. I still have not met anyone better for William and Eliza.

Krista said...

gorgeous! you've inspired me. we're gonna be more adventurous startingggggg......................

Cherie said...

Ok maybe my new place to visit besides Ireland is Austria. Looks wonderful. You deserve a few nights on a real bed!
xoxo

Peggy Waltman said...

Love the pictures! You will never forget this adventure. Wish I was there - homesick for my London family! Love you all -- can't wait for your Christmas visit! Peggy/Mom

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

I love that you guys are having so much fun out there! I love your easy, carefree attitue- I need to take a lesson because my whole life is in a hurry and waiting for the next thing to happen. Otis and Milly are more than adorable! Love you!

Christine said...

It all looks breathtaking. At least you had your phone! Milly is just darling, she looks exactly like you!

Heidi said...

Glad you were in Austria and not killed by London rioters. Austria looks GORGEOUS.

Becky said...

Wow. Amazing. And you have such beautiful kids.