Saturday, November 12, 2011

Imagination- day 11 wearing cape

Halloween opened up a whole new world for Otis. It's like he realized for the first time that he can be anything or anyone he wants. He has insisted on wearing a dish towel for a cape every single day since. He flies to school, the park, everywhere.
Just making sure it's doing ok in the bath...
It's so amazing to see his imagination at work. He makes me feel like a kid again. He was flying past an older kid the other day and the boy said, "You can't fly! Those aren't wings, those are your arms". Otis didn't miss a step, he just zoomed by and yelled back, "I'm flying right now!" Nothing can stop this boy.
He literally will not take it off for anything
So we decided it was worth investing (£6) in a real cape for our super hero.
This video is so long. But I decided to take a break from parenting and try to get on film this character that Otis has created. He gets this scowl on his face and gets really aggressive. I thought I could protect him from the world and weapons, but he is clearly already obsessed with guns and I don't know where it comes from. Obviously, it is not a good idea to film your kids when they're being defiant, but if I followed this, I would never be able to get videos of my kids.

I have a few favorite parts in this, first when he says, "what could you possibly do about listening?" and if you can make it to the end when he's dancing in his new cape- he does this signature knee dance move of Heidi's that he's seen her do on the web cam and I almost die laughing.

15 comments:

Max Fam said...

don't tell anyone. I just wet my pants.

Cherie said...

whoa nelly. are you sure you live in London or in the deep south with all that rhythm. He must get it from his Aunt in Virginia

Cherie said...

better keep an eye on Milly as well. She's an artist in the making.
xoxo

Karen said...

Your kids are just too cute. I wish you still lived here so i could see them in person, but I guess a video will have to do. I loved it.

Chris, Alissa, Parker, and Tenley said...

It is so good to know that Parker isn't the only little boy that is obsessed with guns and shooting. I have been worried.

Kate said...

i love that "i'm flying right now!" you go kid, i hope he keeps that attitude his whole life!! i miss these kids em, and you too:)

Kate said...

hahahaha!! em i am DYING! i just watched the video "what could you possibly do about listening?" and i love your response... pause, you tell me:) he is a crack-up!

Laura said...

thank you for that. i needed to laugh and that made me laugh hard.

TOW said...

My favorite part is Otie backhanding the cleaning bottle onto the ground and then defiantly crossing his arms. Also the fact that he has only been wearing pants in about 10% of the blog posts this year.

Christine said...

The cape is amazing. That is just too funny.

Saidi said...

McKinley loved the video! McKinley does the same thing with princesses, must be those amazing genes they have!

Sarah said...

oh my em. this was the best post ever. otie- so funny and such a smooth dancer. the coverlook photo and now this. love it.

Nicole said...

ha ha. what a funny boy! and I loved his dancing.

Heather and Dave said...

Your kiddie are growing up so fast! I love the cape and superhero imagination. Boys are totally pre-wired to love guns and superheros...it's totally crazy! Can't wait to have a little superhero of my own..

Candace & Winston said...

Those are some sweet dance moves otie!