Friday, May 25, 2012

PETRA

Petra by Night: An amazing once in a lifetime experience.  We arrived at the gates at 8pm, then hiked a few miles through an open desert that narrows into a slot canyon. It was completely dark except for the candle lit path. Then the slot canyon opens up to the Monestary that has hundreds of candles lit in front of it. It is breathtaking. And magical. Then there is some traditional music played and what is supposed to be silence just to take it in- but our kids were the only kids there and didn't get the silent part. At one point in the complete silence, Milly (inspired by all the candles) broke into song, "Happy birthday to Dad-eeee!", it was hilarious. And we got shhh-ed.

This was the thing that I was most worried about doing with our kids because it was so late at night. But they did great and really actually loved playing in the sand near all the candles. Otis basically passed out in the backpack on the hike out. (snake in hand- we bought this in Madaba, he named it "Snake Dougal-Cok" and carried it with him everywhere the rest of the trip.
 With my forever BFF
 
 Ty was a champ for carrying O to the top of the hike. I thought I was going to die with Milly and she is half the weight.

Heavy kids.
 First view of the Treasury

 The donkeys saved us. 


 Otis kept saying, "I'm such a great little hiker". And he was. He walked alot in Petra and had no major meltdowns.
 It was very hot. And very steep. And Ty carried Otis up to the top. It was painful, but so worth it.
 Tyler will laugh at me for telling this story but I can't resist. This Beduin guy, guiding my donkey in the pic above saw me carrying Milly on my back on the way up the hike and he tried to talk me into paying for a donkey ride to the top. He ended up making a bet with me that I wouldn't make it to the top. Never make a bet with a Broadwater- it's in our genetics not to back down at all costs. Here I am above gloating because I made it to the top and saw him on my way down and collected on the bet with a free donkey ride.
 We made it!! You hike to the top and look around the corner to see this. It is striking and amazing. I can't count how many times I asked Nanny, "but I just don't get HOW they built this in the rock so many years ago?!?". 

The cave at the top of the hike with the view of the Monestary.



 Petra is a stone city built sometime around 1550 BC (!). There are biblical references to this "city of stone in Kings and 2 Chronicles. 

7 comments:

Kate said...

you guys are master travelers!

Peggy said...

Gorgeous pictures! I miss my London Babies!

Emily said...

These pictures are amazing! I am so jealous and I have loved looking at the blogs and facebook!

Kati said...

Beautiful and looks so worth the hike! Way to go carrying the kids that is always hard I am sure they loved it:)
I love that someone made a bet with you, that will teach him!

Meg said...

I thought I was your BFF? jk. what an amazing time you are having. thanks for sharing all your cool experiences!

Nanette said...

I've seen those pictures a hundred times, and I still had to open each one up and stare. Wasn't that trip the most amazing thing ever?!?!? I'm appreciating it more and more and more. I miss Jordan, and I miss you guys even more!

betsy b said...

stunnning