Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jordanelle Triathlon

I love being a mom. I feel like motherhood defines my life now (and probably forever) and it's the greatest thing in the world. Motherhood (or parenthood) forces you to lose yourself- it's amazing. But sometimes I feel like I can't find find myself, does that even make sense? In the last 10 weeks I've felt more joy than I ever could have imagined possible, but at times I've also felt like I was drowning in a sea of diapers, spit-up, laundry, nursery rhymes and dishes...to name a few. I needed to get out and do something just for ME.

Throughout my pregnancy I was hoping that I would be healthy and recovered enough to do this triathlon. I'd done this one before so I knew the course and knew that I could just take my time and enjoy it. And enjoy it I did!
Me and my Dad before the start
I know I look high in this picture, but it is how I felt
I obviously wasn't the fastest one there, but I might have been the happiest. It was so nice to enjoy the solitude and the beauty of the whole course!
Remember that sea of diapers and throw up I mentioned? Well, Ty was literally swimming in it while I was basking the solitude of the race. Otie threw up after I left on Saturday morning. Then threw up multiple times while Ty was driving up to Jordanelle. After a few stops, a failed attempt to give Milly a bottle and some changes of clothes, they made it up there. I think his race was harder than mine that day. He looked like he'd been to battle when he walked up with Milly strapped to him and pushing a throw up covered Otis in the stroller.

10 comments:

Pew Family said...

I know exactly how you feel, I'm going through a little bit of that myself right now. That is so awesome that you did a triathlon so soon after having your baby! Your awesome! Darling family! Congrats on your new beautifl baby girl!

Max Fam said...

go Tyler, go Tyler, go Tyler, go!

good job to you too, Em.

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

Emily- you are amazing! You look so great! I hope I can look half as good as you after I have my baby! I'm glad that Tyler is such a good dad!

Cherie said...

Way to go both of you. That is the beauty of parenting. Just when you think things are good or bad or indifferent, CHANGE comes.
Be it sleeping schedule, daily routine, illness, success at what ever you are doing that moment...
Nothing is as constant as CHANGE.

Karen said...

I'm so proud of you! You are amazing. I had my race that day and was crying instead of elated! :)

Nicole said...

Wow, it looks like lots of fun times, except for Tyler here! so fun catching up with all of your posts lately! Good for you for doing the race!! You definitely need to do some things for you!

Catherine said...

Yep, I know exactly what you mean about needing to find myself again. So GOOD FOR YOU! It's so wonderful that you were able to do this for yourself. (and I think it's good for the guys to have a healthy helping of it too sometimes.) :)

Molly said...

WHAT THE??? You are incredible/awesome. I am so proud to be your friend. Speaking of that.... we should hang out STAT! So call on me when you are free:) I have had this photo cd sitting on my counter for weeks... maybe I will drop in this week and hand it over:)

Heidi said...

That is AWESOME that you were able to do a triathalon ALREADY. You look FANtastic too by the way.

Ginger said...

I didn't know you already did it! Congrats! Hey remember you inviting me to do one with you sometime? Well, let's do! (after I get ready for like a year!)