Thursday, October 25, 2012

Geysir, Gulfoss and the The Northern Lights!

On our second day we went to the Haukadalur geothermal area to see Geysir (the original geysir that all geysirs got the name from) and Stokkur. It was so fun to stand and anticipate it erupting every few minutes.
Fun hike to see a great view of the valley and erupting geysirs.
Gulfoss- this waterfall was really amazing.  Mostly because you could walk almost directly on top of it.
 Our only full group shot!
 We stayed the first half of our trip in a little cabin in the countryside in Langholtsvegur. It was so serene. 
 Aurora Borealis! We saw the northern lights! I couldn't believe it. It was my dream come true. I was already asleep with Otis when Ty woke me up and told me to run outside. I ran and woke up Betsy and we spent the next hour on the deck watching the green lights roam across the sky. 
It was FREEZING. Bone chilling cold, but it was incredible.
This is how we end up sleeping almost every single night but I decided to document it one morning on the trip. I was sleeping somewhere under Milly and beteen Otis and Ty- I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

WOW! The waterfalls remind me of Igwazu Falls.

Katie said...

i have always wanted to see the northern lights. so cool!