Friday, May 30, 2008

"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life..."

Last night I met Ty after work and we went to Evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral. It usually costs 20$ to get in, so we'd resigned ourselves to the fact that we'd only just admire the outside. But thanks to the ingenuity of Betsy and my parents, they found out that if you go there or to Westminster Abbey at 5pm during Evensong, you can get in for free...good tip for next time you visit London. It is such a beautiful cathedral!

The quote of the subject goes on to say:

" I can never understand why Londoners fail to see they live in the most wonderful city in the world. It has more history, finer parks, better theaters, more museums, leafier squares, safer streets, and more courteous inhabitants than any other large city in the world..."

-Bill Bryson

Not that I'm trying to recruit more visitors, but this is really a great city and I think everyone should come here at least once in their lifetime. I love it more and more every day.

9 comments:

Jillyn said...

Amen to that! Okay I have only been here a week. Oh, I got so lost on my way home from Kingscross!! I eventually found my way but I am sorry to say not with out shedding a few tears. thanks for carrying my second stroller for me! I had a ton of fun! Have fun in Spain! Call when you get back!

Karen said...

YAY for finally going to Evensong! It was beatiful inside huh?! And you are right...London is a fun city. But I still could NEVER live there! You guys sure amaze me at what you are doing!

Nanette said...

Bill Bryson is the best! I had alot of fun in London. It is a great city! Have a great time in Spain. See you in 23 days! :) :)

Nicole said...

I would love to come to London...I wonder how many times I've said that on your blog?!!! One day, although I'm not sure if at that time you'll still be there!

thebakerbook said...

This is Liz and Brad Baker... Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys. Brad says to tell Ty hi and that he misses him really bad!

zack hackett said...

I don't know why I haven't mentioned this yet but the Hacketts will be in France for the final stage of Le Tour (July 24-27), we have high hopes of visiting one of the most expensive cities in the world (London). We would love to catch up over some fish n' chips.

Becky said...

It does sound awesome there. I really want to visit someday!

betsy b said...

thanks so much for rubbing it in that some of us are unable to make it there.

broadwater said...

3 cheerio's for London. remember I had to ask the guide if this was a religious service to get off the front row of evensong. Betsy did go with me and dad. Can't wait to hear about your trip
xoxo