Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Not part of "the plan"

This is not part of my 5 year plan. This was not supposed to happen, it's something that only happens to other people. I feel like I only blog about the good times with us, so I might as well blog about the bad, or to stay optimistic- the unexpected. Last week Ty's work announced that it was eliminating 190 attorney positions and Ty's was one of those affected. Different from lay-offs in the US, the UK has redundancy consultations which require UK companies to try to find another position for the employee within the business before letting them go. Initially we didn't understand that there is a difference between lay-offs and redundancy consultations so we assumed that Ty had lost his job. We have now learned that Ty may still have a job but the only catch is that it is in Doha, Qatar.

Next week, we are going to visit Doha and Dubai to see if we would want to make the move. It feels like a huge decision because we are either going to end up in the states much closer to home (unemployed) or in the Middle East, much farther from home. However, given the state of the economy and the massive amount of lawyers that have recently been laid off, the opportunity to keep Ty's job is pretty tempting.

The last few days have been quite a rollercoaster. But it seems that our time in London is definitely over and this brings tears to my eyes. We will always treasure our time here. As for Doha, we are both excited and apprehensive and our minds change from one hour to the next.

I can only assume that we would have as many visitors in Qatar that we have had in London, so make your reservations now because they're filling up quick. Maybe Otie's first word will be in Arabic.

19 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow. Good luck with such a big decision. Isn't Dubai the place with all the really nice resorts? Maybe that could be a perk!

Cherie said...

Good thing you are flexible. I know you will make the right decision. I guess I cleaned the basement for nadda!

Marnae said...

Um, what in the H? That is sort of crazy and exciting and odd all at the same time. I am all for doing what you feel is right. I trust you will make the right choice. But just in case, you can move in with us and you and I can start a back alley teeth cleaning operation in my basement. Just giving you more options. Miss you.
P.S. Otis is to-die-for cute.

Nanette said...

Well, at least scrabble online works anywhere in the world....

Holly said...

You sound really optomistic about it, and I'm sure everything will work out. Tim would love to go skiing at the inside ski resort in Dubai...hmm, maybe he can.

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

GeeZe is that a hard thing! What kind of lawyer is Ty going to be? He should call my dad and see if he can hook him up with anything so you guys can move back to Utah! Good Luck!

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

Oh, and P.S.- I hate "the plan" because it almost messes things up because every decision goes back to "the plan" that rarely works out anyways! I'm mad at mine and Andrew's "plan" right now too. Ha Ha!

The Waites said...

Oh my, it does sound like your world is upside down!! I have an idea! Move to Cali!!! move into your parents house in OC and Ty will for sure get a job here...and we can play!!!!
Good luck with your decision...everything works out in the end and its a good thing Ty is such good candidate.
xoxo

Nicole said...

Wow really is a great word to sum that up-good luck! My sisters BIL recently went to Dubai and apart from cranes everywhere said it was pretty amazing. I have no doubt that everything will work out for you! You and Ty are so great, I'm sure you will have a great opportunity that is just right for you!

Nicole and Abe said...

Oh my!! That is a big decision. Good luck and I'm sure that it will work out!! You are starting to remind me of our military life.... they just TELL us where we are moving and when.... however not to Qatar!!

Brooke said...

I hope things work out for the best!

Karen said...

W-O-W!!! Umm...if you move by Dubai and get paid a lot (since it's an expensive city) and want to treat Bryce and I to all the fun things there we will totally come visit! They have an indoor ski mountain...so you could still snowboard! :) But I secretly hope that you move back to the states! That's definitely a tough decision. I am SO glad we got to visit you in London while you were still there! It made it so much better.

Cara said...

Catherine Spencer is living somewhere around Dubai these days so at least if you go there you will know someone close by!

Sarah said...

You are awesome. End of story. Period.

betsy b said...

i bet you there is a nice place in provo that's hiring...?

please don't go far.

Christine said...

Oh my word. I am completely speechless right now. If anyone could do it, you could.

Max Fam said...

Doha Schmoha.

Ian and Kristin said...

Wow! That's quite the news! I'm sure that it will all work out and you guys will end up where you are supposed to me. Best of luck with everything!

Becky said...

Whoa. Six months ago Adam was trying to convince me that we should move to Dubai for all the construction opportunities...